Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Grifone Rose Italian Wine Profumato e Fruttato

On the label: Grifone Rose is made through the traditional skin contact method - during the fermentation the grape skins are left in contact with the pressed juice until our winemaker is happy with the color. The wine is then transferred to another tank to finish the fermentation process. This classic method combines the fragrant scents of white wine and the elegant freshness of a young red wine. Our Grifone Rose is crisp and intense with fragrant aromas of raspberries and peaches, flavors of tangerine zest and watermelon with a hint of sweet white flowers and a crystalline minerality to round out the flavor profile, serve chilled.

Winey Girl Says: It has taken me a couple of bottles, not by myself, of course, and several days to
come up with what I think about this wine. Unlike it's pretty color, I have no real clarity on my opinion, other than it's "nice." I loathe that non-descriptive word. Says nothing. So, as I think about what my taste demands, I remind myself it was a deal at $4.99 - special for the Easter weekend at Trader Joe's. That store entrances me. From the moment you walk in to store through the well-selected flowers it screams "BUY EVERYTHING YOUR BASKET WILL HOLD!" 11:45 am, and the wine guy was easily talked into tasting this Rose, which he proclaimed was not quite cold enough yet. He was right - if the bottle were $12, I would have left it there, but it wasn't, and I bought a case for the Easter dinner. Back at home, the room was divided on this wine. Yes, there was enough for everyone, it was free (to them) so everyone had a glass, and it was pleasant enough. In a room full of wine drinkers, this Grifone didn't get rave reviews. In fact, it really didn't get much response at all. I liked it, and had another glass, but then heartburn set in. Though I know Rose lacks the smooth qualities of a true red, I guess this Rose's "crystalline minerality" ruled the day. I love dry wines, but I need a little help with the harshness this one offered. Tums it was. On opening a bottle last night, I wasn't impressed at all. Decision made. Not my favorite, but it was light, and I am sure I will enjoy the other bottles blended with ice and raspberry ginger ale. (Think blended, by the pool.) This is definitely a wine to serve when you want to impress (color) but don't have the cash. It looked beautiful with pink plates and polka dot napkins. Nobody complained as they sipped it with their ham, turkey, and ambrosia. Mission accomplished.

If you've never heard of Trader Joe's, check them out at http://www.traderjoes.com/. It's a fun experience, and if you love the marketing aspect like I do, you'll want one of these in your back yard!
Also, TJ's is a great place to try everyday, affordable wine. Their tasting booths are bare bones but fun and they hire only the most congenial people - refreshing in today's "me" market. This sounds more like a Trader Joe review, but I bought an assortment, so stay tuned!

Rose Winey Rating: 3 stars

Affectionately yours until next wine, Winey Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment