Sunday, March 22, 2015

Nothing says Spring like Robert Mondavi 2011 Meritage.....?

On the label: "Like Mr. Mondavi, Winemaker Rick Boyer believes that wine enriches life. Our Meritage red blend is a velvety wine revealing notes of dark plum, black cherry, and blackberry with a lingering finish." facebook.com/robertmondaviprivateselection

Winey Girl says: It's been a while since I read Robert Mondavi's autobiography, Harvests of Joy: How the Good Life Became a Great Business, but Mondavi is an American Classic, and his wine
Meritage served with Lemon-Pepper Chicken and Pasta
heritage is still intact. This 2011 Meritage, from the Robert Mondavi Private Selection, Central Coast label, is, in a word, beautiful. It's all the label says, and you just can't compare a Mondavi wine with any other California wines, in my opinion. There are plenty out there that are good, but I believe all of Mondavi's wines are to be savored. 

It's a cold and rainy night here, despite the announcement that Spring has arrived, and although I wanted a light dish for dinner, this wine jumped off the shelf and into my basket! (Who needs the red meat/red wine rule anyway!) It is indeed velvety, but more than that, it fills your head with aromas of oak, flowers, berries, and is an experience! This is a wine to be shared with your best friend or in an intimate gathering where everyone can say, "Ahhh! Nice!" or whatever it is you say after you have a sip of greatness. I love the label, I love that it's "Coastal." Love. It.

Funny thing, you know I'm not a wine wiz, but I do remember reading that Meritage is a fancy name for an everyday red table wine. It's an American invention. Go figure. I guess Mondavi didn't let that stop them from their high standards. Don't let it stop you from trying this delicious red blend either.

Here's a nice article about Robert: http://www.winespectator.com/wssaccess/show/id/40906

One last note: I love that on each cork, and yea, they are the fake ones, is a quote from RM,
"Making good wine is a skill; making fine wine is an art."
Wine = Art. I can live with that!

Red Winey Rating: 4.5 stars

Until next wine, affectionately yours, Winey Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment