Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sunny Sunday = Pinot Grigio

Sunday's Choice - Bella Sera - Italian Pinot Grigio, 2013


On the label: This classic Italian varietal from Veneto in Northeast Italy is a crisp, refreshing wine with lovely floral notes. Pair with pasta, herbed chicken, or fish. www.bellaserawines.com

Winey Girl Says: In Italian, Bella Sera literally translates "beautiful evening," and I can't imagine an evening more beautiful than one that include a glass of this! Well...maybe a glass of this on my favorite Floridian island, Sanibel, looking at the sunset...you get the idea. Crisp and light, this is, hands down, my favorite Pinot Grigio. I fell in love with it last summer at a local green awning restaurant, and, to this day, look at it yearningly every time I pass by it on the wine aisle of my local grocery! Not too pricey at $14 per magnum, it is more than this winey girl can afford on a weeknight. In fact, I reserve that price for a special occasion; however, I thought that writing about it qualified for that special event... don't you agree?! Anyway, it's gentler than a chardonnay, as pinots are supposed to be, yet this one has so much character that if blind-tested, I may say it is chardonnay! Since I met this wine last summer, it has the distinct pleasure of taking me right back to my favorite season, by the pool. I like it best cold, in fact, I am not such a snob that I won't add ice to a lesser wine, but this one just needs a good chill in the fridge. If you love chardonnay, yet find that it's a little too much for spring or summer, try this one for a more-than-suitable sub.

Tonight I am pairing Bella Sera with a rotisserie chicken and iceburg lettuce wedge with cucumber and Tzatziki dressing, With Spring just a few days away, I can't wait to drink more pinot grigio and enjoy simple foods again (aka no more hearty soup!).

What's Tzatziki? It's greek for YUMMO!
Check it out here: http://stalkerville.net/recipe/tzatziki-sauce/

White Winey Rating: 5 stars

Until next wine, affectionately yours, Winey Girl


1 comment:

  1. Intriguing commentary. I'll have to try this one. Thanks Winey Girl!

    ReplyDelete